Current:Home > reviewsMassachusetts lawmakers overcome efforts to block money for temporary shelters for migrant families -Capitatum
Massachusetts lawmakers overcome efforts to block money for temporary shelters for migrant families
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 06:09:23
BOSTON (AP) — A spending bill that includes money for temporary shelter spaces for migrant homeless families cleared the Massachusetts House on Monday after more than 100 Democratic lawmakers showed up at an informal session of the chamber to overcome efforts by House Republicans to block the bill.
Republicans had been repeatedly blocking efforts to pass the bill since last week, arguing the measure should be brought up in a formal legislative session to allow for debate and roll call votes.
The move forced Democrats to bring in dozens of legislators to overcome the parliamentary hurdle. In an informal session, debate and roll call votes aren’t allowed and a single lawmaker can block a bill, giving Republicans, in the minority in both chambers, leverage to block efforts to pass legislation.
Democrats are pushing the $2.8 billion spending bill which sets aside $250 million to help provide shelter for vulnerable families, including up to $50 million for an overflow site for homeless families stuck on a state wait list. The state’s emergency shelters are buckling under a crush of migrant and homeless families.
Minority Leader Bradley Jones defended the actions of Republicans saying they were trying to press Democrats to take debate the bill in an formal session.
Demand for shelter has increased as temperatures drop and the state struggles to find newly arriving migrants places to stay after hitting a state-imposed limit of 7,500 families in its emergency homeless shelter system last month.
Over 100 families were waiting for emergency shelter spaces as of Friday. About 500 families have exited shelters since Sept. 1, making room for other families.
To create more space in the shelter system, the state has worked with federal officials to help migrants get work authorizations needed to find a job.
The surge in shelter demand is being driven in part by migrant families entering the state, officials said.
The state launched a $5 million grant program last month to help local groups provide overflow shelter spaces for those on the wait list. The state is also letting up to 25 homeless families stay overnight in the state transportation building in Boston during the evening and overnight hours.
veryGood! (86195)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Minnesota teen gets 4 years as accomplice in fatal robbery that led to police shooting of Amir Locke
- Baltimore bridge tragedy shows America's highway workers face death on the job at any time
- Potential Changes to Alternate-Fuel Standards Could Hike Gas Prices in California. Critics See a ‘Regressive Tax’ on Low-Income Communities
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Women's Sweet 16: Reseeding has South Carolina still No. 1, but UConn is closing in
- Alex Murdaugh’s lawyers want to make public statements about stolen money. FBI says Murdaugh lied
- How Queen Camilla Made History at Royal Maundy Service
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Iowa's Patrick McCaffery, son of Hawkeyes coach Fran McCaffery, enters transfer portal
Ranking
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- GOP-backed bill proposing harsher sentences to combat crime sent to Kentucky’s governor
- Two bodies recovered from vehicle underwater at Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse site
- Taylor Swift's father will not face charges for allegedly punching Australian photographer
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Black pastors see popular Easter services as an opportunity to rebuild in-person worship attendance
- Dashcam video shows deadly Texas school bus crash after cement truck veers into oncoming lane
- Israel and Hamas war rages despite U.N. cease-fire demand, as U.N. envoy accuses Israel of genocide in Gaza
Recommendation
Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
Where to get free eclipse glasses: Sonic, Jeni's, Warby Parker and more giving glasses away
2024 NFL mock draft: Four QBs go in top four picks thanks to projected trade
Where is Marquette University? What to know about Sweet 16 school's location and more
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Winning ticket for massive Mega Millions jackpot sold at Neptune Township, New Jersey liquor store
North Carolina's Armando Bacot says he gets messages from angry sports bettors: 'It's terrible'
An Oil Company Executive Said the Energy Transition Has Failed. What’s Really Happening?